This position is the strategic and management lead for YPO’s global public and media relations practice within the global marketing and communications department. This leader is responsible for enhancing and extending YPO’s global public profile, while carefully managing YPO’s perceived value, thought leadership reputation and positive impact among members and the global business community. In addition, this leader will provide guidance and support to regional public and media relations activities.
• Establish strategic direction, development and implementation of global and regional public and media relations plans to enhance YPO’s brand profile, perceived value, thought leadership reputation and positive impact among members and the global business community.
• Lead and manage global/regional PR/communications agencies.
• Establish and maintain top-tier global, regional and local media relationships and serve as YPO’s liaison with the media to secure strategic and positive coverage for the brand and our members.
• Secure and manage YPO media opportunities for members, serving as subject matter experts, to raise the profile, image and reputation of the YPO brand and of our members.
• Create/identify media opportunities for YPO with global strategic alliance partners and renown thought leadership organizations and brands.
• Serve as the public/media relations advisor to the CEO, YPO global chairman and management organization.
• Collaborate with the internal YPO marcom partners, regional communications team and management organization leaders to uncover, craft and secure YPO thought leadership and member impact stories in top tier media.
• Lead and manage the tracking and reporting of secured media coverage and activity reports across the world in service to expanding the global profile of the YPO brand.
• Monitor global, industry and related news across all media platforms.
• Manage annual public and media relations budget.
• Collaborate with marketing, creative, digital, and events teams in annual marketing planning, best practices, creative strategy and innovation.
• Manage YPO’s crisis communications practice, including interface with YPO’s global crisis communications agency.
• Serve as member of the YPO CART (Crisis Action Response Team), as needed, to strategize on crisis communications situations and draft and deliver communications to media and audiences as needed.
• Manage and coordinate responses to all public and/or media inquiries received by the organization or individual team members.
• Lead and develop the public and media relations team. Coordinate and collaborate with marketing managers in the regions to support regional YPO PR and media relations opportunities with one brand voice.
• Ability to lead and run a global public and media relations practice within a global membership organization: from strategic plan creation and implementation; creative ideation of campaigns in support of objectives; information gathering; story/opportunity pitch development and presentation; media relations management; global agency management; prioritizing team resources - all in an environment that is always changing, under deadlines and with high expectations to produce premium quality and relevant content and media coverage.
• Ability to effectively lead, mentor and motivate a team.
• Exemplary interpersonal, written and oral communication and presentation skills.
• Facility with comfortably and confidently handling time-sensitive, confidential and high-pressure public situations.
• Champion multi-tasker.
• Ability to consider, respect and integrate different perspectives from multiple sources.
• Comfortable with change and thinking beyond today's reality.
• Hiring, team building and team/agency management expertise.
• Ability to assist with marcom team strategy, management and leadership.
• Ability to remain cool, respectful and effective in chaotic situations.
• Ability to create and manage budgets and production timelines.
• Knowledge of print, digital, broadcast and social media.
• Ability to work well as a team leader and as a team member with a remote workforce.
• Excellent organizational skills and commitment to detail.
• Demonstrated consummate professionalism in working with all internal and external stakeholders and the media.
• Minimum 10 years of experience in public relations/communications positions.
• Global experience through work or school. Track record of successful leadership and a proven expertise in creating and managing global, comprehensive and strategic public and media relations plans; leading and managing global/regional PR/communications agencies; and establishing significant top tier global, regional and local media relationships to enhance brand profile, image and reputation.
• Leadership experience of/within a PR agency or of/within the corporate public relations department of a large organization.
• Strong journalism, public/media relations; content creation/publishing background.
• Proven project management for complex and organization-wide projects.
• Experience with fast-paced, confidential, high pressure, crisis communications situations.
• Background in cross-functional strategic and crisis communications planning and execution.
• Business/corporate communications.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, marketing communications, or relevant field.
• Master's degree in field of interest (preferred).
• Ability to work flexible hours as needed to serve global membership and organization.
• Some travel required.
• May work virtually from home-based office.
How many management team members are supervised directly? 1
How many contractors/temporary workers are usually supervised? 3+
Is this position a Committee Lead? No
Is this position directly accountable for a Portfolio? Yes
Is this role responsible for a budget? Yes